Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Repairing cheap Aliexpress chronometer starting one time out 10

 Background

I have bought a cheap chronometer for my daughter, for school's reading exercises.

But when powering the chronometer with the button, it was starting one time out 10, sometimes I could force the starting by moving the battery... odd behavior for a brand new chronometer... I have decided to open it to see what was wrong.



The opening...

What I have discovered was horrible!
Only the pads with a signal on it were soldered, and 1 pad out 2 for the battery's contacts !
Even worst, the 32kHz quartz (extremely sensitive part) pads ware on a PCB track (not shown on the pictures as I have bent the pads)!!!




The solution

I have re-soldered all the component pads and solder the pads that were not soldered before.
I have cut the all the component pads (especially the one of the quartz) to avoid any disturbance or short circuit with the PCB board.
After that, the chronometer was working fine (but quite slow to start, around 1 second...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change the motor brushes on an Hotpoint-Ariston ARMXXF145 FR

 Background I had an issue with my Hotpoint-Ariston ARMXXF145 washing Machine. During a washing, the washing machine's drum has stopped ...